About the School Education Program
The School Education Program aims to foster a greater understanding of the Victorian Legal System. Students are able to see classroom theory put into practice in a real courtroom.
The School Education Program is open to students studying VCE Legal Studies. Groups must not exceed 25 participants and must be accompanied by at least one teacher.
The School Education Program operates at the Supreme and County Courts of Victoria. A Student Introduction to Jury Service visit is also available. The School Education Program operates during school terms, starting February and finishing in November.
If you need to cancel or postpone your visit, please contact the Courts Engagement Officer as soon as possible, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note for all visits that the court buildings do not have on-site car parking facilities, cloakrooms or lockers, or dining facilities.
- Students are expected to dress neatly when attending court.
- All mobile phones must be switched off on entering court buildings.
- Students should try to avoid bringing large bags or backpacks to the courts.
- Other items that are not permitted in the court buildings include: metal or glass objects and aerosols.
- When entering or leaving a courtroom, visitors are expected to make a slight bow towards the judge, as a sign of respect.
- Students must sit quietly while in the courtroom, and when moving about the buildings noise should be kept to a minimum.
- No food or drink (including chewing gum) may be consumed in the courtrooms.
- Please be aware that other people attending the court may be involved in court proceedings. Refrain from making comments until well away from the courtroom.
How to address the Judge
County Court staff and the Supreme Court Education Team will advise students on the correct ways to address Supreme and County Court judges when visiting the courts.
Shortly after your visit you will receive an evaluation form. We would appreciate it if you could complete this and return it to us. Your feedback plays an important role in the enhancement and development of the School Education Program.
Courts Engagement Officer
Court Services Victoria
This page was last updated: Thursday 8 November 2018 - 10:15am